Price of Fencing
A fence is structure that encloses an area, usually outdoors. It is normally constructed from posts connected by wire or other materials such as steel, concrete or wood. A fence differs from a wall in not having a solid foundation along it’s whole length.
The purpose of a fence can vary. It can serve to prevent unwanted entrance, to confine people or property, or to mark a boundary.
When choosing a type of fence it is important to consider it’s main purpose as well as it’s intended lifespan so you can make the best choice.
The most common reason for the installation of a fence is Security.
Many types of fences can serve this purpose effectively, however, the environment it will be in, as well as cost, will be the main driving factors behind the decision.
Here are the most common fences in South Africa and the Pros and Cons associated with each of them :
Price of Palisade Fencing
Price of Palisade fence: R8500 for 30 meters of Palisade Fencing (2.2m high palisade )
Palisade Fence Supplier:
|Telephone:||(011) 362 1551/2|
|Address:||Corner Ermelo & Dagbreek Road, Largo, Springs, Gauteng, South Africa|
PROS of a Palisade Fence
- Palisade Fencing is attractive and does not clutter your view.
- It can be painted in the colour of your choosing to fit with the theme of your house.
- It is a highly effective security option when placed atop an existing wall.
CONS of a palisade fence
- It will be necessary to prime the steel before painting to avoid rust.
- Palisade Fencing is expensive to purchase and install.
- If the perimeter fence is only Palisade, you will need to conduct regular inspections to check if none of the beams have been tampered with. If there is just one gap in the fence, it becomes an entry point.
Tips for Palisade Fences
- If you have an existing wall and would like to add extra security to your perimeter, it might be worthwhile to invest in shorter lengths of Palisade Fencing to install on top of the wall. It will be much cheaper than full length Palisade Fencing
- Make sure your Palisade Fence's spikes are sharp.
Price of Wire Mesh Fencing
R2000 for 30 meters of Wire Mesh Fencing
Wire Mesh Fence Supplier :
|Company:||Hi Tech Fencing|
|Telephone:||011 467 9177|
|Address:||37 Pipers Road, Sandton, Gauteng|
This fence comes in either a Diamond or Square grid pattern.
It is the most economical fence available, and as it's name suggests, is made from wire of different thicknesses.
This type of fence should never be considered as a primary security barrier and it is mainly used to mark a boundary between properties or to enclose livestock.
PROS of a Wire Mesh Fence
- Wire mesh fence is inexpensive and easy to install.
- It can last for many years if looked after, as most varieties are made from stainless steel.
CONS of a Wire Mesh Fence
- Wire mesh does not endure rough treatment well and will be difficult to restore if bent.
- It can attract creeping weeds which use the structure as a trellis.
- Wire mesh is by no means an effective security solution and is easily scaled or cut.
Tip for Wire Mesh Fencing
- If you can only afford a Wire Mesh Fence, opt for the thickest version your budget will allow. It will be more difficult to cut than the standard thickness.
Price of Diamond Razor Mesh Fencing
R 5000 for 30 meters of Diamond Razor Mesh Fencing
Diamond Razor Mesh Supplier:
|Telephone:||011 740 5223|
|Address:||Athlone Street, Dalview, Brakpan|
Diamond Razor Mesh is arguably the most secure fence available. It is often utilized by farmers as well as game reserves to discourage entry. It is available in different densities (the size of the holes in the fence) and the standard height is 1.8m tall.
Diamond Razor Mesh is equipped with numerous razor barbs across it's length and breadth and it would be difficult to imagine anybody getting over such a thoroughly imposing security measure.
PROS of Diamond Razor Mesh Fencing
- Diamond Razor Mesh is an extremely effective security solution.
- Relatively well priced, not as expensive as Palisade Fencing.
- Long Lasting. The sturdy frame and stainless steel construction requires no maintenance and will last for many years after installation.
CONS of Diamond Razor Mesh
- Unsightly. Diamond Razor Mesh is not pretty.
- Hazardous. It is important to keep a safe distance from Diamond Razor Mesh and it is not suitable where there are children or pets nearby.
Tips for Diamond Razor Mesh
- Make sure the Diamond Razor Mesh also has blades (or teeth) protruding from the top to discourage climbing over.
- Diamond Razor Mesh is best installed by professionals.
Price of Razor Wire Fencing
Razor Wire Supplier:
|Company:||Mpumalanga Discount Wire|
|Telephone:||011 892 2090|
|Address:||25 Main Reef Road Dunswart, Boksburg|
Razor wire can be divided into two types, FLAT WRAP and CONCERTINA, with many different shapes, colours and sizes available to choose from.
Often mistakenly referred to as "barbed wire",razor wire is the most common security measure around and can be seen nearly everywhere.
Price of Flat Wrap Razor Wire(2D)R750.00 for 30 meters
Flat wrap razor wire is a single face form of razor wire which generally runs along the top of walls as a security measure. It is also useful as it adds height to the wall and is a favourite perching spot for many types of birds.
PROS of Flat Wrap Razor Wire
- Flat wrap razor wire is quite a cost effective security solution as an average length can cover a relatively large area..
- It adds height to your wall and comes in a variety of sizes, the bigger loops spanning almost a meter high.
CONS of Flat Wrap Razor Wire
- As a security measure, Flat Wrap Razor wire should not be fully relied upon as there are ways of overcoming the installation successfully and it is also prone to being cut.
Tip for Flat Wrap Razor Wire
To ensure that Flat Wrap Razor Wire cannot be easily disassembled if cut, use a pair of pliars to re - inforce the links of each hoop with steel clamps ( available at most good hardware stores).
Price of Concertina Razor Wire(3D)R 1250.00 for 30 meters
Concertina Razor Wire derives it's name from the musical instrument of the same name,which is similar in appearance to an accordian.
It is the three Dimensional version of Razor Wire and is sometimes called "Prison Wire".
Concertina Razor Wire is easily recognizable and can be placed atop a wall or fence or even be installed on the ground.
As a security measure, Concertina Razor Wire it is much more effective than Flat Wrap Razor Wire as it has a structure which cannot easily be overcome.
Sizes range from standard heights to mammoth 1.5 meter high loops.
PROS of Concertina Razor Wire
- Concertina Razor Wire can be considered an effective security solutioin provided it is properly fixed to a sturdy structure.
- Concertina Razor Wire is relatively well priced if compared to Diamond Razor Mesh and Palisade Fencing
- Concertina Razor Wire requires little or no maintenance once installed and will last for many years.
CONS of Concertina Razor Wire
- Concertina Razor Wire is by no means cosmetically appealing, and will do little to aid the aesthetics of your property.
- Concertina Razor wire can trap irretrievable rubbish within it's numerous folds, which can be unsightly and inconvenient.
Tip for Concertina Razor Wire
- To easily install Concertina Razor Wire, have another person assist you in stretching out the product fully, rather than beginning at one end.
Price of Electric Fencing
R2300.00 fo 30 metres
Electric Fence Supplier:
|Company:||Gido Electric Fencing|
|Telephone:||0860 103 653|
|Address:||Unit 3 14 John Street Selby South Africa|
It is recommended that Electric Fencing be used in conjunction with a physical barrier such as Pallisade Fencing to beef up security of your perimeter.
It should not be relied upon as a primary security installation..
PROS of Electric Fencing
- Electric fencing can add considerable height to your perimeter wall.
- Electric fencing is touch sensitive and can trigger an alarm if tampered with.
CONS of Electric Fencing
- Electric Fencing is useless if it is discovered to be switched off.
- Electric Fencing uses electricity to function which makes it the least economical option over a long period of time.
Tips for Electric Fencing
- When installing an electric fence, consider which angle the fence is to be installed at, outwards or straight.
- Fit an intimidating sign onto your electric fence, grossly overstating the power of it's volts.
NB : Always ensure there are no structures or trees that are higher than your wall around the perimeter of your property that can be used as a platform to gain entrance.